Mexican herders settled the area in the 1860s and named the area after its location on the Arroyo Colorado. There was a post office in the area – the Arroyo Post Office was officially established on August 22, 1887, upon the appointment of Christian Balduf as its first and only Postmaster. The Arroyo Post Office was discontinued on December 31, 1907, and its mail was sent to Harlingen. In 1910 the community had about 10 people and two stores. Scattered houses remained in the area in the 1930s. Several businesses and dwellings remained in the 1970s. In 1990 Arroyo City was marked on Texas state highway maps.
In 1904 Arroyo City had a school with one teacher and twenty-four students.
Thanks to Jenny Lynch, Historian and Corporate Information Services Manager at the United States Postal Service for information on the Arroyo Post Office.
We encourage anyone with information, photos, anecdotes – pretty much anything that we could use to add to our history, to please email us.